A Fabulous Winter Receipt
Here at Cafenated Coffee Co. we have several very talented people who not only make your delicious coffee beverages, aromatic tea, and tasty food, but also have interesting personal hobbies. We have decided to share some of their hobbies with you on our monthly newsletter. For our January 2020 newsletter edition, Will Crosby, Cafenated Coffeehouse talented chef and barista, has shared his favorite receipt.
Will has been a Cafenated Coffee Co. team member since June 2020. He is an Oakland native and a big fan of local sports team (A's, Golden State Warriors).
We hope you try and enjoy his receipt.
Classic American Beef Stew
- 4 lbs Beef Chuck Roast (cut into 1 ½ inch pieces)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tbsp Canola Oil, separated
- 1 yellow onion, halved
- 5 carrots (3 cut into bite sized rounds, 2 left whole)
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp anchovy paste
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp dried thyme
- 10 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 8 oz pearl onions, peeled
- 1 ½ pound waxy potatoes (like yukon gold), cut into bite sized pieces
- Set oven to 325 degrees
- In a large dutch oven, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium high heat. Season the beef liberally with salt and pepper, and dredge the cubes on flour. In batches, brown the beef in the dutch oven. Set aside.
- Add onion (cut side down), 2 whole carrots, celery, and garlic to ditch oven. Once browned (about 6 minutes), deglaze pan with red wine and reduce to ¾ volume. Add stock, soy sauce, tomato paste, anchovy paste, rice wine vinegar, bay leaves, and thyme. Bring to a simmer, add browned beef, and transfer to oven partially covered for 2 hours, or until beef is tender.
- While stew is in the oven, add rest of oil to a skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms. Once moisture is released (about 5 minutes) add carrot rounds and pearl onions and cook until they are browned. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Once beef is tender, remove from oven. Fish out onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and bay leaves. Mix in cooked vegetables and potatoes and return to oven for one hour, or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from oven, season to taste with salt, and serve with crusty bread.